August 28, 2016
Social Traders’ Portfolio enterprise, 2 & 5, is recruiting a General Manager to manage the daily operations and help to grow the business, providing fresh fruit and vegetables to local community in Norlane.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Social Enterprise General Manager, 2 & 5
2&5 Inc is an innovative social enterprise that provides access to affordable, fresh, healthy food to the residents of Norlane and surrounding communities.
2&5’s key operations are a shop and cafe selling low-cost, quality produce and an organic market garden. The market garden provides 2&5 with the opportunity to sell high-margin organic produce to a more affluent market, to cross-subsidise the operations of the shop and cafe.
2&5 is an Incorporated Association (Vic), governed by a Committee of Management.
The Social Enterprise General Manager is responsible for leading 2&5. This includes management of staff and operations, providing strategic direction and oversight and assisting the 2&5 Board to achieve their governance responsibilities. In partnership with the Board, the Social Enterprise General Manager is also responsible for increasing 2&5’s profile, particularly with possible funders, partners and supporters.
Role Responsibilities and Activities
- Ensure that 2&5 operates as a sustainable social enterprise
- Regularly review, in consultation with the Board, the 2&5 Strategic Plan
- Manage key relationships and partners, including philanthropy, job services agencies, government, other community sector organisations, Social Traders, landlords, funders, etc
- Continue to raise the profile of 2&5 with potential customers, supporters and partners
Staff and volunteer management
- Maintain a positive organisational culture
- Develop structures, systems, processes that ensures that the full potential of staff is realised, they contribute positively to 2&5 and have opportunities for professional development
- Develop structures, systems, processes to attract and retain volunteers and ensure their contribution to 2&5 is meaningful and coordinated
Board and governance
- Support the Board in their governance responsibilities through scheduling and facilitating regular Board Meetings, including the preparation of Board Papers, Agendas and Minutes for Board Meetings
- Ensure that 2&5 complies with its duties as an incorporated association
- Prepare and lodge reporting to funders and investors as required
Business operations and management
- Develop and monitor annual budgets for the organisation, with the support of the Volunteer & Administration Manager and in consultation with the Board and Social Traders
- Ensure that the various activities of 2&5 – shop, garden, café – operate to their full potential and deliver their KPIs as per the 2&5 Strategic Plan
- Review and develop policies and procedures that mitigate 2&5’s key risks, optimise operating efficiency, social impact, financial viability and occupational health and safety
Role Accountability and Relationships
This role reports to the 2&5 Inc Board. It is ultimately responsible for the management of all staff and volunteers as per the organisational structure (figure 1). It works closely with other organisations including philanthropy, job services agencies, government, other community sector organisations and Social Traders Ltd.
Qualifications and experience
This role requires strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills coupled with business acumen and commercial nous. A relevant business or other degree will be highly regarded as would some experience working in a retail environment and working with a not-for-profit Board.
Required skills and experience
- Good knowledge of business operations, budgeting, systems and processes
- The ability to prepare budgets
- Very strong HR and staff managements skills
- Outstanding communication and relationship-building skills
- An interest in social enterprise
- Ability to communicate and promote 2&5 to the broader community, partners, government and funders
In addition to the qualifications, skills and experience detailed above, candidates should be able to demonstrate the following behaviours:
- Works with others to achieve shared goals
- Engenders a spirit of teamwork
- Shows initiative
- Represents the organisation well to external parties
Planning and problem solving
- Reviews information and alternatives before making judgement
- Has a systematic approach
- Considers options and set a clear path
- Deals with obstacles and impediments and recovers from setbacks
- Tailors communication to a diverse group of audiences
- Presents clearly and logically
- Writes well
- Manages time and prioritises to meet deadlines and achieve outcomes
- Organised and avoids distraction
- Follows through with commitments
This role attracts a salary of $70,000pa pro rata including superannuation.
This is a part-time role at 0.6 FTE (22.5 hours per week), based in Norlane. The role is highly autonomous. There is the opportunity for flexibility, with a preference to spreading the 22.5 hours across at least 4 days.
How to Apply
Please email your covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please cite this position and detail your suitability for the role and address the selection criteria.
Applications are open until a successful candidate is found, we therefore encourage you to apply without delay.